Strategic Goal No. 3 – Strengthen Partnership
Outcome Challenge: Partnership strengthening through membership drive, relevant training and media engagement
Title of Activity: CWP Secretariat Running Costs
Provision of funds for the following expenses:
- Salary of Project Coordinator
- Supplies and materials
- Coordination meeting expenses
- Landline & Mobile Telephone service fee
- Wifi /internet connection
- Business permit fees
- Renewal of webhosting and domain
Output of Activity:
– Smooth implementation of planned activities for 2018
2018 World Water Day in the Philippines
The 2018 World Water Day and Water Week 2018 celebration in the Philippines was held from March 15 to 22, 2018 with the theme: “Nature for Water”. It was a nationwide event supported by different partner agencies, local government units, NGOs and the private sector.
PWP actively participated in the following events related to the World Water Day celebration:
PWP participated in the launching of the World Water Day 2018 Kick-off Activity entitled, “Nature Walk” cum “Sining Ipo Sungka Tournament” on March 15, 2018 at La Mesa Nature Reserve, Novaliches, Quezon City. The said activity was led by the DENR-River Basin Control Office (RBCO) in partnership with Manila Water, Maynilad and Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) as part of the week-long celebration.
The sungka tournament by Maynilad, Nature Treasure Hunt, Pinoy Henyo (Kalikasan Version) and Kilos-kilos Game was held simultaneously with the Nature Walk organized by Manila Water. Besides aiming to foster camaraderie among inter-agency participants, the event emphasized the importance of watershed, the protection and care of the country’s natural resources.
The educational and fun-filled activities were concluded by the awarding ceremonies, photo-opportunities and Pledges of Commitment to the environment by all those who participated.
Launching of the Wetlands Bioblitz Program
On 16 March 2018, the Society for the Conservation of Philippine Wetlands, Inc. (SCPW), in collaboration with the Philippine Water Partnership (PWP) and Laguna Lake Development Authority (LLDA), launched the Wetlands Bioblitz Program at Panguil River Ecotourism Park. The launching event, which is one of the activities lined-up for the celebration of World Water Day 2018, served as a dry-run for the Wetlands BioBlitz activities that will be implemented in other major rivers in Laguna de Bay region. It underscored the relationship between nature and water, the nature-based solutions for water-related issues which is the theme for this year’s World Water Day celebration dubbed as “Nature for Water: Exploring Nature-Based Solutions to the Water Challenges in the 21st century”. It was attended by scientists, LGUs, community volunteers and interested individuals and organizations, including business participated in the whole-day event.
“NWRB, Nangangalaga ng Water Resources ng Bansa, an Educational Campaign”
This activity is an Information, Education and Communication (IEC) Campaign organized by the National Water Resources Board (NWRB) and the PWP on March 19, 2018 in Nagcarlan, Laguna for non-registered domestic water-users and resort owners.
The objectives are as follows:
- To educatethe public on the functions of NWRB, Water Code of the Philippines, and IWRM
- To create a list of households which own and use wells and other sources for domestic purposes; and
- To advocate registration of sources for domestic use and application for permit of sources for other uses
A total of 170 interested stakeholders attended the event.
The highlights of the information dissemination were as follows:
- Engr. Susan P. Abaño (Head, Water Resources Assessment Section) – Presentation on NWRB as the Philippines Water Resources Manager
- Engr. Josephine Billones (Policy and Program Division) – briefly explained basic principles of Integrated Water Resources Manager (IWRM)
- Mr. Perseus L. Cruz (Water Rights Division) – presented the Salient Features of Water Code of the Philippines
- Ms. Arlene Diaz (Water Rights Division) – discussed the Water Permit Application Process & Registration for Domestic Water Users.
An open forum followed after the presentations to give the opportunity for participants to raise points and/or clarificatory questions regarding the presentations. The concerned resource persons responded to the points/clarificatory questions raised.
Culminating Activity and Awards
This activity was organized by Maynilad, together with the National Water Resources Board (NWRB). The awards were given to honor eighteen (18) champions for water and the environment — individuals, institutions and programs that made huge strides in achieving water and environmental sustainability in the Philippines. The recognition is the culminating event of the week-long celebration of World Water Day.